Friday 15 June 2012

Final Major Project 2: Marine Biology- Fish


This is my final piece for my project, photographed in the Farnham Maltings (thank you, Burton & Laura!).


For this project, I was inspired by the fish at the Horniman Museum in London, and the wall hangings at the Lost in Lace Exhibition, in Birmingham. With the fish, I was more interested in the colours and movement of the fish, which I thought was best effective through the method of ikat, the method of binding yarn to get different colours and patterns within the cloth.

I found this to be a difficult project, because of linking my ideas to my ikat, and the constant tangling of the threads due to the nature of the yarns used, but I'm glad that I stuck by it, because I know that I could overcome something, no matter how challenging it was!

I  wanted to create three wall hanging pieces, changing in the spacing of colour, and thought that it would be suitable for somewhere in a bohemian/ethnic type restaurant, because I thought it would be better than a corporate building, because I have always tried to stay away from this, because I'm quite free-spirited and my ideas are really all over the place. For that reason, I thought a vibrant restaurant, like a Moroccan Restaurant would be more appreciated.

I do prefer the tie-dye technique in comparison, but I would like to continue with the fabric manipulation post-graduation, and possibly create a ready-made textiles range from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment